Thursday, October 9, 2008

Vote Yes on Prop 8

YES ON PROP 8 Pictures, Images and Photos
I took a lot of time carefully considering my vote on Prop 8. As some of you may know, we have loved ones that are gay. On this issue, it is easy to say that we want everyone to be happy and "What does it matter to us if they get married?". But there is more to this issue than relationships between two consenting adults.
Families are the essential building block of healthy societies, and gender plays a vital role in families. Mothers and fathers bring unique and important qualities to family life. I think it is impossible to know the future effects of redefining marriage as a genderless union.
Furthermore, I believe that parents should have the right to discuss homosexuality with children on their own terms. If Proposition 8 fails, homosexual unions will likely be discussed in the classroom as part of the curriculum on sexuality and family life. There will be no parental notification or ability to opt out.
Of course, for me, religious freedoms are also an issue. It is a concern that if Prop 8 doesn't pass that religious institutions or individuals may be targeted as discriminatory if they do not recognize same-sex marriages. For instance, in Boston, after same-sex marriage was legalized, Catholic Charities was told by the government that their adoption agency had to place children with same-sex couples regardless of their beliefs. They ended up shutting down their adoption agency rather than violating their beliefs.
In San Diego, a lesbian sued a doctor at a fertility clinic who refused to perform a requested artificial insemination because of the doctor’s Christian beliefs. Even though another doctor was willing to perform this elective procedure, the court ruled that this was a violation of anti-discrimination laws.
This is an interesting link detailing the clash between anti-discrimination laws and religious freedoms.
http://www.npr.org/templates/story/story.php?storyId=91486191

I think it is extremely important to look out for the rights of individuals from minority groups, and it is important to me that same-sex couples have rights. In California, nearly all rights allowed to married couples are also allowed to same-sex couples. Everyone deserves to be treated with respect, have access to jobs, housing, and services. These rights will not be take away under Prop 8.

3 comments:

Kevin said...

Your first paragraph and your last paragraph are at odds with each other.

Why is it that you believe in granting people rights, but not equality? The only just way for society to function is to grant equal rights to all, even if that means conceding some of the privilege you have gained.

I hope you continue to consider the matter and recognize that while a no on prop 8 might leave you uneasy, it is the right thing to do.

Anonymous said...

Hey, Sarah. I'm glad you've made this forum available for discussion. This topic has really caught my attention and I've been reading up on it over the last couple of days.

I see that you've excerpted parts of “Six Consequences the Coalition Has Identified if Proposition 8 Fails” in your discussion of why you're voting yes on California Proposition 8. I would encourage you to read this
commentary written from a Mormon perspective
and consider whether these concerns are valid.

I'm sure that you realize that I do not agree with the LDS Church on many, many issues - but I'm not antagonistic or unsympathetic to them either.

I'm concerned about LDS Church members being asked to defer to the General Authorities when they vote. I know there are church members who would argue that the LDS Church never tells them how to vote. But I think it is duplicitous to say that members are not expected to vote a certain way and that the Church's position is politically neutral while also saying that the question of gay marriage is a moral issue with a clear and unequivical answer.

The LDS's Church's position in this issue reminds me of the stance it took against the Equal Rights Amendment when I was a little girl.(Although back then the imagined threats were of same sex bathrooms, loss of ability to collect child support, and being forced to give women the priesthood.)

When it comes to civil rights issues the LDS establishment have always been late to the party (think of the justification of denying members the priesthood because of the "curse of Hamm" or our history of ministering to our "Lamanite brethren"). I think the LDS church is a very conservative institution led largely by 80-year-old men who have lived in a relatively closed society. Their experience can't help but shape their view of the outside world as dangerous, immoral, and permissive. But that's not at all what the world I live in is like.

Given that we are a pluralistic society, I think it's to all our benefit that matters of civil rights not be decided by popular vote.

- Erika

Robert Goyer said...

I love gay people and want them to be happy! I'm not at all worried that it will infringe on my rights whatsoever. Quite the opposite: I think that equal rights makes America stronger and more secure. Walt Whitman loved America and would definitely agree!