Monday, October 20, 2008

Book Review: The Twilight Series

Twilight Pictures, Images and Photos

So, I'd heard so much about the Twilight series, and I really enjoyed reading it. I think most girls are suckers for romance. I happy for Stephanie Meyer because now she is totally rolling in the dough, and I like to support my Mormon sisters. :)
Though I liked the books, I didn't LOVE them. Sometimes the writing annoyed me because she used the same verbs and descriptive terms too often. Also, I didn't love the character of Edward. He's kind of controlling, but a lot of women like protective men. I don't really. If anything my husband is underprotective. For example, if I have to go to the store late at night, I always have to convince him that someone might kidnap me if he doesn't come along. He is not concerned about that.
Overall, though, I think that any of the things that I didn't like were outweighed by the story. I thought it might be cheesy,but it was very engrossing, and I didn't even mind that it was about teenage vampires. :) It was a fun mix of romance, comedy, and adventure. Stephanie Meyer develops the characters well over the course of the four books. I was always looking forward to my next chance to sit down to read, and I think that's a sign of a good story.

2 comments:

Trisha said...

My students LOVE these! They just go on and on about them, and it makes me feel obligated to read them. I bought the first one about the time the third one came out and still haven't read it. Every time I go to start it, I m reminded that it is a love story about vampires, and I choose a different book. I've been doing the same thing with Harry Potter for years. I want to read them for my students, but I am skeptical.

BL said...

I have been trying to get ahold of this book for months but something always seems to get in the way of me getting it! I am glad you gave your "stamp of approval". I heard they're also making a movie about them? Oh, and Brian is underprotective of me too and I HATE it!