Tuesday, September 16, 2008

Book Review: Marley and Me





I would have never thought to read this book if my sister hadn't recommended it to me. I love dogs. In fact, I would call myself a dog lover, but I still think of them as just dogs. I wasn't sure I would want to read a memoir of someone's dog. But, from the get go, I totally related to the characters in Marley and Me. The book starts with them as newlyweds in a new house with finally enough space to get a dog. The dog they get turns out to be what they think may be the worst dog ever.


Oh how clearly I remember my longing for a puppy. As soon as we put in an offer on a house, I was on the search for a puppy. Nic, who is not as fond of dogs, didn't understand, but he did know that he didn't want dog hair all over. So, I went about finding a dog that didn't shed. After much research, I decided that a Labradoodle would be just the right dog for me. We found a breeder way out in Lucerne Valley. Penny was the last one left of her litter. Maybe that should have clued us in, but she was so darn cute. When we got her home, we realized how high maintenance she was. She loved people...maybe a little too much. If Penny was left alone she wouldn't just whine, she would SCREAM. Her screaming was just the tip of the iceberg, but I love that little puppy!


Life has gotten much better for Penny since we decided to keep her and her best bud, Riley, together. My parents were suckered into taking Riley when he found himself without a home. He is such a sweet Lab, but he comes along with an insane amount of energy and some obsessive compulsive behavior.

Between these two dogs, I feel like I've experienced everything that Marley's owners did
(and more!). But, in the end, I think I'm more of a dog lover than ever. Right now, they are at my parents' house while we get used having Max at home. I can't wait to see them again!
I didn't even mean to start a post about my pets, but I think that anyone who reads Marley and Me will get to thinking about the special relationship that we can have with animals. Marley and Me will absolutley make you laugh and probably also make you cry. It reminds you of how much of life happens around your pets. In sum, I found it delightful!

No comments: