Tuesday, June 16, 2009

World's First Conjoined Triplet Separation




This is my first year ever having a garden, and I am really liking it. Nic lovingly built me a few raised beds. We filled them with really nice soil, so growing has been easy. I've enjoyed spending the time outdoors, and it has been fun to watch all my plants grow from tiny seeds. I've been so excited every step of the way. Now, we can eat some of our veggies, and that is the best part. We've had snap peas, carrots, green onions, and zucchini. We have tomatoes, corn, peppers, and onions on the way. I'm definitely not a gardening expert, and when it came to thinning my vegetables I probably didn't thin as much as I should have. It just seemed a shame to pluck up perfectly good plants. Well, here's what happens when you let your carrots remain crowded. You get a Siamese triplet carrot.
We successfully separated the carrots, and they came out kind of cool and swirled. We, of course, ate them anyway, and it got us thinking how nice it is to know where your food comes from. We never would have bought such crazy carrots from the store, but we grew them ourselves and knew that there was nothing wrong with them . I'm hoping to add another bed to our garden next spring, so that we can produce more of our produce. :)

5 comments:

Melissa said...

that's great Sara! What a nice hubby! We had plans to build raised garden beds. Brian has been so busy with work, it didn't get done yet. There is always next year! I've noticed when we visit my parents house, the kids are most likely to eat the food from the garden. They LOVE to help her out there and pick and water the food. I'm sure Max loves to explore outside while you work on the garden. You don't become an expert unless you practice it! Keep up the great work!

BL said...

haha. Brian produced a carrot that looks exactly like that last year. I am weird though, even though I knew where it came from- I refused to eat it. I'm glad you're having fun with your garden! Cute pic of max by the way.

Sharla said...

You and your garden are so Michelle Obama. And Max wearing jeans gives me the giggles.

Monica said...

Oh fun!!!!! I so wanted to palnt a graden this year...but this past couple months have been so crazy! All i got to was 2 tomato plants! Right now we have almost 3 ripe tomatos! ITs kind of patheticl..but I am excited to eat them! hee hee

Shannon said...

Lol me and Dan were redaing your garden and we have decided that we never want our oen garden because the thought of bugs crawling on our own fruits and veggies wierds us out and we know we would never eat them lol (we are wierd). My new camera is a Panasonic Lumix ZS1,ZS3. It is pretty sweet Dan did research on it I guess it is rated one of the top five digital cameras that is not a DSL R so I am loving it our old camera was like 4 years old.